Permanent - Full TimeLocation:
Crows NestApplications Close:
23/01/2017 5:00 PM
The Toowoomba region is about rich traditions and bold ambitions. Our long and proud agricultural history has evolved Toowoomba into Australia’s second largest inland city supporting diverse townships in the council area and acting as a service centre for South West Qld and North West NSW. The region is boldly forging new opportunities around the Surat Basin resource sector, education, health, transport and massive infrastructure investments. Growth hasn’t come at the expense of liveability though, with Toowoomba twice voted in the top 5 most family friendly cities in Australia.
Toowoomba Regional Council services a regional population of 163,000 and employs a team of approximately 1,800 staff, dedicated and passionate about delivering excellent customer service to the community, residents and visitors throughout the region. We recognise that our success depends upon attracting and retaining skilled and talented staff and offer a wide variety of interesting challenges and opportunities to develop your career.
AN EXCITING OPPORTUNITY HAS BECOME AVAILABLE IN THE PARKS AND RECREATION BRANCH
About the role
- The Team Leader Firebreak Management will primarily exercise extensive discretion in relation to the selection and organisation of appropriate work processes and resources for the maintenance of fire management assets in bushland parks and other areas as directed. They will supervise and work with a team of Plant Operators to deliver the desired levels of service for firebreaks within the Toowoomba region. They may also be called upon to assist with other bushland park operations.
- The Wage for this position is Level 8 - $1056.78 gross per week under the Local Government Employees' (Excl. Brisbane City Council) Award - State 2003 plus 17.5% annual leave loading and up to 12.4% superannuation. Workforce Flexibility Arrangement of a 9 day fortnight is currently offered.
How to be successful in this position - Success Criteria
- The possession of the following qualifications:
- Year 12 education and a combination of experience, qualifications and competence, which enables the incumbent to perform all duties of the position.
- A current "C" Class Manual Drivers Licence.
- Competency certificate for the operation of a tractor up to 110kW
- Possession of, or willingness to obtain a "HR" Class Licence
- Possession of some or all of the following licences/accreditations would be highly regarded:
- A Certificate III or Certificate IV in Conservation and Land Management or related field;
- ACDC Commercial Operators Licence;
- Chainsaw (basic felling, chainsaw safety, maintenance and crosscutting) competency certification;
- Senior First Aid Certificate;
- Certificate of safe operation and recovery of a 4wd vehicle;
- Restricted Coxwains Ticket;
- Bushfire management and prescribed burning competency certification;
- Local Government Authorised Persons Workshop completion certificate;
- Traffic Management Level II;
- WHPS competency or general safety induction (Construction Industry) white card.
- Organisational skills with the ability to identify and resolve problems which may occur throughout the area of work; and
- Ability to select and organise appropriate work processes and resources.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, motivate, administer and manage a team to meet agreed performance and service standards. Including organisational skills with the ability to identify and resolve problems which may occur throughout the area of work; and the ability to select and organise appropriate work processes and resources.
- Demonstrated ability to understand directions and to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including the ability to prepare computer based application relevant to the work performed.
- Demonstrated Knowledge and Skills relevant to the establishment and maintenance of Fire Breaks, including but not limited to; clearing; drainage; erosion management; slashing; pest management; burn preparation; and experience in the operation of tractors (including implements) up to 110kW and a range of large and small plant items. The ability to also undertake duties associated with the general management of Bushland Parks would be highly regarded.
- Unrestricted physical and philosophical ability to undertake the work required to deliver outcomes and perform intensive labouring duties on a daily basis as well as the administration of agricultural chemicals and possible destruction of pest animals.
- Understanding of and commitment to Council's Organisational Value and Behaviour of "Accountability and Transparency".
How to Apply
To apply, please submit two documents:
- A document addressing the “Success Criteria” in the Position Description in three pages or less; and
- Your current resume.
Visit www.tr.qld.gov.au/jobs for information on how to apply for jobs at Toowoomba Regional Council.
For further information
Please contact Dean Menzies on 0407 633 435 within business hours.
The advertising for the position will close at 5:00pm Monday, 23 January 2017
- Position Description - Team Leader Firebreak Management.pdf
- TRC Values and Behaviours.pdf