(Limited duration appointment up to 6 months)
Council is seeking the services of an experienced WHS Officer to join the Human Resources team based in Uralla.
This position has responsibility for facilitating the implementation, integration and monitoring of Council’s Work
Health and Safety management system, policies, procedures and practices.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure Council’s compliance with WHS legislation, associated acts, regulations, codes of practice and Australian standards to minimise exposure to risk.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the WHS Management System, providing monthly progress reports to the Manager - Human Services and Executive.
- Co-ordinate workers compensation claims including incident/accident reporting and act in the role of return to work co-ordinator.
- Assist in the completion of the annual Statecover Audit and implement outcomes from the resultant WHS Action Plan.
- Co-ordinate and actively participate in WHS committee meetings (acting in the role of Secretary), monitoring the implementation of recommendations as required.
- Conduct workplace inspections, investigations, audits and reporting in regard to WHS/risk management compliance, incidents and prevention.
- Ensure risk assessments, WMS, SDS are developed, current, recorded and displayed as required.
- Actively develop, promote and conduct safety education/presentations and workplace inductions for new and existing staff as required.
- Identify training needs and liaise with Departmental Managers/Supervisors as required.
- Attend regional WHS and Risk Management forums as required.
To be successful in this role you will possess:
- Tertiary qualifications in a WHS discipline at Certificate III/IV level or above or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience in a WHS/risk management role ideally gained within a local government environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable acts, regulations, codes of practice and Australian standards.
- Demonstrated skills in the use and application of the Microsoft suite of products (in particular Word and Excel).
- Return to Work accreditation (or ability to readily acquire).
- Class C Driver’s Licence.
- WorkCover Construction Induction Card (White Card) or equivalent.
- Knowledge and understanding of role and responsibilities under the WHS Act 2011.
- Salary up to $1171.70 per week subject to the demonstration of qualifications, skills and competencies.
- 9.5% superannuation.
- 9 day fortnight working arrangement.
Further information and details by contacting the Acting Manager – Human Services – Peter Quinn on (02) 6778 6300
Applications closing 5pm on Friday 27 January 2017.
Position Description (377 KB)
Applications which do not address the selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description will not be considered.